Application process and timeline
Applications for the EMS division are generally accepted February-October.
For questions or general information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The application is available online only from the link below. You may email, drop off, or mail your application. Please do not call for the status of your application. You will be contacted if you will be invited to the next phase.
Note that while the information on this page appears specific to Volunteer Applicants, the same information and criteria applies to those applying for any open paid staff position (as listed on the Careers page.)
The application process includes:
- Application Review
- Invitation To Oral Boards
- Oral Boards
- Invitation to Physical Agility
- Written Exam
- Physical Agility Test
- EMS Skills Assessment (EMS Division Applicants)
- Offer of Probationary Status and invitation to SAFD Academy or SAFD EMS Division (EMS Division applicants)
The Application Guide (download link below) is a valuable tool to download and reference throughout the process. It will provide you more detailed information on exactly what needs to be filled out in the application, expectations of the applicant, and an explanation of each phase in the process.
We require that all applicants submit with their application:
- Current copy of a Motor Vehicle Record
- Letter from a physician stating that you are in good health
- Proof of immunization for Hepatitis B (or at least the first shot)
- Any other vaccination records (MMR, TDAP, etc.)
- Background Release Authorization
Physical Agility Test
A Physical Agility Test is an physical course designed to gauge your body's ability to withstand the rigors of the duties that may be required in the fire service.
In effect, the SAFD Physical Agility Test is a rigorous physical exercise that simulates many activities of the fireground. It is a timed exercise, although speed is not the primary concern. Your commitment, and resolve will be one of the main focuses.
You should come prepared to engage in an intense physical activity. It is highly suggested that you stretch out prior to participation.
Appropriate attire in the form of shorts, t-shirt, and sneaker-type shoes are recommended. We also recommend bringing something to drink.
While we feel strongly that the Academy is a place where not only education in the fire service occurs, but trust, a sense of family, and life-long relationships are formed amongst Recruits, we may accept personnel as a "lateral applicants" on a case-by-case basis. Contact a recruiter for more information on whether you might qualify for lateral status. Lateral applications are generally accepted with (a minimum):
We thank you for your interest and truly look forward to seeing you.
- The recruits of SAFD Fire Academy 2018-1 have progressed to the hazardous materials phase of their training. This weekend's drillground activities included hazard mitigation, foam deployment, and decontamination procedures. Foam operations were...
- This just in from the Arapahoe County Sherriff's Office:...
- NEWS RELEASE: ...